12.14.2009

Managing Your But Before it Gets Too Big

This is not a post on the derrière!  This is regarding a timeless issue I hear often, and heard again this morning by the woman filing my business license.  “My daughter really wants to be a cop but I don’t want her to be.  She has such a great business sense, she should do that instead.”  She went on to talk about how her daughter, who is currently in high school, has raised over $6,000 for herself just by making and selling items out of her trunk.  She makes salsa and cookies to sell, while also selling soda and chips to her classmates since they’re no longer available in school.  I haven’t met her daughter and I probably never will, but I wonder if this teen is feeling that her hobbies cannot be her career.  This is a common feeling most of us have or will experience throughout our life.  “Well, I just love to bake, cook,    give piano lessons, travel, write, etc...” but  “I have to make a living, I have a family to support, I'm too old, no one will buy my work, etc."

Think about the things you long to do and write them down under a heading we’ll just call “dreams” for now.  Then, for each item, write “but” down next to it and then list what is prohibiting you.  You should be able to count the number of dreams relative to the number of buts.

Is your but bigger than your dreams?  It shouldn't be.





Technorati post:  TUQ83TEUMB9D












No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory