3.19.2010

The Gift of Great Friends

Growing up, I always thought a great friend was someone you would be friends with for life but that has not proven to be the case.  As I moved, time passed and I evolved, so did other people.  Friends have come and gone through the years but one thing remains certain, nothing beats the valuable people who are in my life now.

I have friends who I met through work, through other friends and my spouse.  I've met people randomly at events and people who were once an acquaintance who are now friends.  Everyone defines their friends differently and I'm glad to have friends of all kinds.  I have friends I rarely see, yet we pick up right where we left off, friends who send spontaneous invitations and friends who I can make long-range plans with.  Friends I only e-mail with or instant message, friends I see in person, friends I talk with for hours by phone, friends I Facebook and friends I vacation with.  Friends who know my every flaw and friends who think I'm flawless.  Friends I laugh with, friends I cry with and friends I laugh until I cry with.  Friends who know me well, friends who know my husband well and those who know us both well enough to share in the triumphs and tribulations of being in a long-term relationship.

For those in my life who are my friends, I thank you for sharing your honesty, your encouragement, your hugs, your stories, fears, successes, bottles of wine, hopes, dreams, vacations, laughter, tears, pain,
home-cooked meals, recommendations, homes, your friends and smiling faces when times have been tough, great and everything in between.

Friends are like flowers, we choose a lovely array for their unique characteristics in hopes of surrounding ourselves with a beautiful garden.

Think about the friends in your life and how they impact you.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant. The people you choose to let into your life is a critical thing. And having good people around you is a wonderful thing. It took me a long time to realize that you can have friends that you like and are fun, but you shouldn't let get to close. And others that are so wonderful that you need to make a little extra effort to be sure you remain friends.

    I love your analogy, flowers. Some are great to have around and brighten up your life. Some you can be close to and smell and enjoy. Others make you sneeze and sniffle, but from the right distance, they can still brighten up your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments! It's critical that we don't ask too much of one person whether it's a friendship, or our romantic relationships.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory