3.08.2010

The Positive of Not Missing Something

People talk about what they miss constantly, but on occasion people will talk about things that they do not miss.  When we talk about the things we miss, we’re naturally seeking out a explanation or expressing an emotion.  When we talk about what we don’t miss, we’re validating what is true within ourselves which gets us closer to obtaining what it is we want in our own life.  I’ve had clients discuss what about their ex they don’t miss and it helped them conclude that they were truly over that relationship.  It wasn’t until they really expressed what they didn’t miss that they began to realize without a doubt, that the relationship was over, that they were now happy with where they were personally and that they could move forward happily within their own life with no regret.  It works for anything in your life.  
Take me as an example. I moved away from my home city of Milwaukee in 1998.  I know I would be absolutely miserable living there.  I don’t miss anything about it, to be quite honest besides my family who I love very much.  I was not in love with my home city and by the age of 17 I knew I had to get out.   I would stare at the skyline longing to live in a bigger city.  I never lived downtown which was deemed “unsafe” for so many years growing up, so it didn’t become a natural place for me to go when I visited.  I like to be in the middle of action with the ability to retreat when I need to.  Knowing what I don’t miss has allowed me to find happiness in my own life and make good choices moving forward.  Think about the things in your life that you don’t miss and then reflect upon how those things have contributed to your happiness in your life now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory