2.17.2010

Life Lessons from Yoga

I used to do yoga at least three days a week during my lunch hour nine years ago when I lived in Chicago.  I thought it was a nice way to stretch and give me some energy for an afternoon of working (I'm a morning person).  At that time, I was really into weight lifting and used yoga as a way to just relax and stretch.  Then I moved to New York and stopped.

I made a pact with myself last year to get back into yoga after spending two three-hour yoga sessions with Pradeep in Palm Springs.  It was fairly life-altering for me as I started to experience the gifts yoga brings to life.  Spending money on classes is not a huge priority as I get my business going, so I joined my long tried and true place for yoga, which costed $89 for 12 months of unlimited usage.  I practice yoga at least twice a week now.

When I started, I could NOT achieve a forward bend without bending my knees.  Today, I gracefully place my palms flat to the ground next to my feet.  Now, yoga for me is a way of life just as weight lifting was for me years ago.  I refuse to lift weights and try to do all of my exercising outdoors.

How I think yoga and my life are intertwined:

I used to do yoga, now I practice it.
It requires effort and faith, falling over and achieving more than you ever thought possible...like in yoga there was a time when I was balancing on my hands with my legs over my shoulders and other times doing balancing poses I'd fall and laugh it off.
I also practice being the best me possible in life.
Each day is a new opportunity to grow and expand who I am, what I know and how I feel.
I choose to stand taller, stronger and confidently.
I listen to myself in terms of how far I will push myself.
No two days are the same and I celebrate that.
I don't overextend myself but I challenge myself enough in my practice to progress.
It allows me to believe and therefore I do.
If I say "I can't" I know I won't.
If I can support the weight of my body, I will be able to support and control myself in my life.
I open myself to receive from the universe.
I offer to the world who I am willingly, gracefully (sometimes!) and with humor.
I send blessings to my enemies (not that I really have any but to people I may feel tension with).
I feel great at the end of each session as I know I will at the end of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory